Thursday, November 17, 2011

Bringing In The Garden

"God almighty first planted a garden" - Sir Francis Bacon

Since winter is finally creeping into Central Texas, I decided it best to bring in my potted plants.  This is not something I really like to do because honestly I take better care of them while they are outside!  I do like the warm feeling they bring in and the fact that I get to save a little green for the days when all I can see outside is grey.
Many of these plants belonged to my Mother, so for some reason I feel the need to nourish them even more, to ensure that they flourish and thrive.  It’s like if I let them die, yet another part of her slips away…so I shuffle them in and out with the changing of the seasons, just as she did.
My dream is to someday have a garden room, as the only room in my home now the least bit suitable for plant life is my formal dining room; it has the most sunlight in the house.  I envision my garden room with glass walls, French doors, white wicker furniture, and a beautiful chandelier; a space both elegant and functional that serves as a bridge connecting the beauty of the outdoors to the inside of our home.  I’ll have to start plans for that after my greenhouse is done.  Oh, and after I get that second job! 
Garden rooms, or sun rooms evolved from farmhouses and urban row homes that had covered porches for the families to sit and relax.  As Americans became more suburbanized, families started using their back patios and gardens for this purpose. They screened in their patios for shelter and privacy, and WALAH, the garden room was born.  Modern sun rooms offer all that the older ones did but in a more elaborate, comfortable setting because of advanced building technology.
For now, my dining room will serve as a surrogate garden room.  I will bring my green beauties into a place where the sun can fill them with warmth and life and keep winter’s bite at arm’s length.  In return I get the privilege of carrying on the legacy that my Mom fashioned through her love of gardening.


And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so. And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.  Genesis 1: 11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment