Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Halloween - About Relationships

“A grandmother pretends she doesn't know who you are on Halloween.”  ~Erma Bombeck
As it goes for most kids, Halloween was always one of my favorite days of the year.  As a child, the anticipation of hiding behind a mask and going out for “tricks or treats” started building the minute fall blew in and built to a climax on Halloween night as I perused the streets in search of fun and treats.  Then a melancholy feeling replaced excitement as the evening ended.  Funny, it still feels the same way for me but with different activities!  I love decorating for Halloween with fall décor as well as adding a spooky component by strategically placing spiders, mice, and skulls (to name a few things) around the house.  I love to play “pranks” on my loved ones and love having the kids and grandkids over for all the fun.  I trick or treat vicariously through the grandkids now.  I watched in amusement as the kids geared up with excited anticipation and Mom coerced them with threats of “not getting to go” if they didn't eat their dinner.  But finally, exhaustedly, Mom breaks down and agrees to start the face painting and costume donning ritual that pave the way to a final blast-off out the front door.
As a Christian, I have felt convicted about my love for Halloween.  There are a lot of opinions on whether or not Christian’s should take part in this pagan holiday.  History reveals that Halloween actually has roots in the Christian faith.  You can read about it here:  http://www.loc.gov/folklife/halloween.html.  Nonetheless, I do not subscribe to the “evil” side that is so popular, or the gore, or any mean-spiritedness that may be associated with it.  I try to establish a balance that keeps me grounded in my Christian faith but allows me to enjoy the innocent fun of the day.
Halloween straddles fall and winter and brings to the season a mischievous festiveness that really appeals to me.  Just like other holidays, it offers me a time to bond with the people in my life that I love, and provides yet another opportunity to foster the relationships that mean everything to me.  A time to play, laugh, escape, live, and love is how I view Halloween; a very worthwhile occasion in my book.
“These things I command you, so that you will love one another.” – John 15:17

  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa I have been so sick all week with a virus I am just now trying to get around to visit. Quite an inspiring post you have here. Like you I have been conflicted about Halloween but try to think of it as All Hallows Eve. Nothing like watching the grands have a fun time.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. QMM, sorry you haven't been well! There is a lot of that going around here too. I am glad you come to visit. Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete