Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Kaylee's Smile

"Because (grandparents) are usually free to love and guide and befriend the young without having to take daily responsibility for them, they can often reach out past pride and fear of failure and close the space between generations." ~Jimmy Cart

It’s cautious, but now when we visit with our youngest grandbaby we are usually met with a precious smile.  I never push it, waiting for her to come to me.  After a while she will inch forward, take a toy from my hand or come over to explore shiny jewelry or an inviting open purse.  She is still in the attachment anxiety phase to Mom and Dad, but it is OK, I am patient.  I know that one day, she will run to me with open arms and call out “Grandma”!   It is so worth the wait.
At nearly a year old, everything she does is funny.  I often wonder what she thinks when we visit and stare at her the whole time; and when we are not staring, we are laughing.  The way she scoots around on one knee, the faces she makes, how she pounds on my curio cabinet glass in an effort to get at what is inside; all things that bring a belly laugh reveling in pure delight. 
I often sit and wonder what she will be like as she grows.  I can already see a little sensitive side, like her father; but that is one of my favorite things about my son…his sensitive side.  That characteristic is precious to me as it spawns compassion, kindness, and love.  I look forward with great anticipation being able to observe and take part in her sweet life.
I have found the differences in parenting and grand parenting very interesting.  As a grandparent, I feel more like a friend, possibly mentor.  I hope to be a great influence on my grandchildren and I hope that when I am long gone they can look back and laugh at my eccentricities, carry on some traditions, remember good times they had with me, but most importantly be assured of a place in Heaven because of my influence.  Whether that influence comes directly or indirectly, I pray it takes hold.  Ultimately, it is the most important thing I can pass along.
What a beautiful child Kaylee is with her auburn hair, apple checks, piercing blue eyes, and big beautiful smile.  That smile ties my heart around her little pinkie, leads it to simple delight, and then leaves it wanting more.  I just can’t get enough.
“Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children's children."  Deuteronomy 4:9

1 comment:

  1. Oh I share that joy with you. Those grands are the greatest. Blessings to you all.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete