Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Family Bible and The Old Farmer’s Almanac

"You cannot open a book without learning something."  -Old Farmer’s Almanac
Spring blew in like a lion while I slept last night and I woke up to sound of lingering rain, a brisk, cool breeze, and birds chirping a little louder than usual.  I didn’t even realize that it was the first day of spring until a dear friend mentioned it, but my soul felt it.  I felt especially joyful this morning as I eavesdropped on songbirds chattering, drank in the cool refreshing wind that whisper sweet assurance that the worst of the storm is over, and thanked God for the blessing of rain, as I just planted my vegetable garden just a few days ago.  I didn’t have the nerve to look at it this morning before rushing off to work, I am praying that the chaos of the storm didn’t wash away all my hard work, but even so I will accept whatever may come.  The rain is most important.  It is truly amazing that the most peaceful times truly follow the storms.
According to the Old Farmer's Almanac, today, the first day of Spring is a best day to cut hair to retard growth, mow to retard growth, dig post holes, harvest, wean, quit smoking, potty train, jar jams/jellies, wash wooden floors, paint, start diet to lose weight, kill wild onions and weeds, and host a party.
The premiere issue of The Old Farmer's Almanac was published in 1792 during George Washington's first term as president.  An almanac, by definition, records and predicts astronomical events (the rising and setting of the Sun, for instance), tides, weather, and other phenomena with respect to time.  I got this information from www.almanac.com.
Second only to the Bible, this is my favorite publication, I guess because it is old school and it talks about gardening.  I have a true bond with the traditions of old and love to explore their history and investigate the fact that documents written so long ago still have extraordinary credence in our world today.  I think Randy Travis said it best in his song “The Family Bible and The Old Farmer’s Almanac”:
“My father's father was the wisest man I ever knew

Sixty years of education
Seven years of school
Farming kept his body strong
At night the only books he owned
Kept his mind sharp as a tack
The family bible and the farmer's almanac

When to plant
When to harvest
How you reap just what you sow
When to look for rain and who to turn to when it don't
There was a plan for early frost
Salvation for the lost
Words to live and die by front to back
The family bible and the farmer's almanac

One came from his mother
Handed down the day she died
The co-op sent the other
Every year at Christmas time
He knew the seasons to the day
Knew Paul and Peter by first name
He could answer any question he was asked
With the family bible and the farmer's almanac

When to plant
When to harvest
How you reap just what you sow
When to look for rain and who to turn to when it don't
There was a plan for early frost
Salvation for the lost
Words to live and die by front to back
The family bible and the farmer's almanac

He knew the way to get
From this life to the next
While others spoke of faith
He found the facts
In the family bible and the farmer's almanac
The family bible and the farmer's almanac”
Cuddle up with a few good books (you know my recommendations) and put the last logs of the season on the fire, because The Old Farmer’s Almanac tells us that the last 3 days of March are traditionally expected to be cold and stormy.
“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.”  Hebrews 13:8 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment