Thursday, June 28, 2012

Making the Best of It

“For what it’s worth: it’s never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald

Half a century…that seems like a very, very long time.  Today I turned 50.  I had visions of lying in bed all day lamenting over the fact that I am, in fact, truly getting older.  It’s like I wanted, like it is expected of me to be unhappy, to wallow in misery…but I woke up, refreshed and happy, went for a walk, and worked in the garden, just like I did when I was 49.  I feel the same!  While my body ages, my spirit stays fresh. 
What I love best about being 50 is that I can just be me.  I am OK.  The insecurity I felt in the past is easing up.  I haven’t fully arrived, but I realize that I am a creation of God, and in me, he created a unique being: the way I look, my personality, my soul; all designed for just me.  I strive to see myself through His eyes, as a beloved daughter of the most-high God.  I have an inheritance that only a few can claim (thank you Jesus) and it grows richer with loving and serving others.  I have the best guidebook ever, it is called the Bible.  It is chocked full of expressions of love, wisdom, comfort, and examples of how to live.  All this and a God who will never leave me nor forsake me; I can’t lose; it is as simple as that.  One, or 50 more years, God willing, I want to make the best of it.

Just a few things I have learned over the last 50:  I don’t have to fix everyone else; a mild, non assertive personality pays off in the end; it is OK to say no; forgiveness affords freedom; you have to be as good as you expect everyone else to be; judging others is not my job; gardening is therapy; families are not perfect, but worth the investment; time is more important than things; the child in me lives on; I am not responsible for other people’s feelings or actions; dogs are truly human’s best friends; hurt people hurt people; friends are family we pick for ourselves; marriages can’t survive without God; it’s not all about me after all; being a Christian is not about religion; crying is not a weakness; worrying is not trusting God; you can’t run from your problems but you can sure distance yourself; keep score and you lose; the housework can wait; words hurt; one kind word or gesture can change someone’s day; the past is a great teacher;  you have to look forward, not back; grandchildren rock; and all you need is love…really.
“Our days on earth are like grass; like wildflowers, we bloom and die.”  – Psalm 103:15 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment