Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Good Haul

The best place to find God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. - George Bernard Shaw
 
The squash and cucumber plants have died away and the tomato plants are being eaten by some unseen forces.  Hundred plus temperatures are pretty much taking care of the rest of the garden, however, the cantaloupes and peppers are still doing well and the Okra is indestructible!  I have to admit, too, that I haven’t been caring for everything as I once did as my motivation got lost somewhere between the rain, vacation, and heat.  Not something I like to admit, but true. 
 
So, I do believe it may be time to clear out the ruin and lay some landscape fabric to try and control the insanity of grass and weeds.  Man, if only my vegetables were that aggressive!  I am still debating on whether or not to plant anything for fall.  It is getting a bit late, so I may just let it (and me) rest until spring.   It was a good haul.

My favorite memories of the garden this year so far include:
  • Spending time with my son and his friend while they helped me prepare the ground
  • Finding new vegetable sprouts each morning
  • The thousands of tiny ladybugs look a likes (still not sure exactly what they were) I discovered after pulling up a patch of grass
  • Planting flowers with my granddaughters
  • Fresh salsa
  • My garden party!
  • My first eggplant (I have never planted these)
  • Grandchildren’s hand prints on stepping stones
  • Finding cantaloupes amongst the cucumbers that I didn’t know I planted!
  • Missile-sized zucchini squash
  • My grandbaby picking tomatoes and playing in the dirt
  • A freezer full of vegetables!
I am so blessed.  I dreamt last night that I woke up and everything I once had was gone.  It was a very lonely feeling.  When I awoke for real, I realized that I have so very much to be thankful for.  God has blessed me with freedom, family, friends, a beautiful home, a great job, and talent that I can use to bring Him glory.  Gardening is one talent that I hope to pass along to a family member somewhere down the line.  I have such beautiful memories of my mother’s gardens and I hope that my children and grandchildren have the same of mine.  I hope to someday use this talent as a ministry as well.  God dwells in the garden and I know that others can find Him there, if I just plant the seed.
"And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work."  - 2 Corinthians 9:8

No comments:

Post a Comment