Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Day To Remember

Today was the tenth anniversary of 9/11 and as I sat and watched the services at Ground Zero this morning on television, I found myself tearing up at the ceremony, the stories, the pictures, the recollection from those who survived, those who risked their lives to help others out the burning, crashing buildings, and those who lost loved ones on the day that forever changed the course of everyday life in America.  I was particularly touched when George W. Bush read a letter that Abraham Lincoln wrote to a mother in 1864 who lost five sons in war.  In part, Lincoln said, "I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save." 

I marveled at how much the words ring true in a completely different century, a completely different world, a completely different kind of war.  But I realize that even though there were all these differences, there was one thing that never changes...the heart, the sacrifice, and the love that Americans have for their families and for their freedom.

This morning in church, with friends and family at our side, my husband and I participated in a baby dedication and made a commitment to tell our granddaughter, Kaylee, of the sacrifice God made for her over 2,000 years ago.  He sent his only son, Jesus Christ, to die for her and to save her a place in Heaven.  I soaked in the love and pride I felt for my family and I felt so lucky, so blessed, to live in a country where I can worship freely, and where I can openly proclaim my beliefs and live out my values.

It is only because of the sacrifices made by those who gave all; whether they died on the battlefield, in a plane that crashed into a tower, or in a field in Pennsylvania, that I can safely sit in a church with my children and grandchildren.  It is only because of the sacrifices of God that I can be certain that when this life is over, I will sit at the right hand of God and claim the inheritance promised and provided because of His sacrifice.

God bless America.  We will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment