Thursday, September 8, 2011

What Is That Smell?

"You know you are a real gardener when you think compost is a fascinating subject." - Unknown
Composting, it is a dirty job, but somebody’s got to do it.  I have been layering my piles of brown and green materials to my “test” compost pile and decided I better go ahead and start doing some major research on what techniques to use to be most successful at it.  I don’t know about you, but for something that is “easier than following a simple recipe” (as stated by one site I visited), I sure feel overwhelmed!
As a result of my research today, I am going to give you my top 10 hot topics in the world of composting:
10.  Is it really worth starting your own compost pile?
8.  Do I need a compost bin, or can I just chunk it in a pile in the yard?
7.  What I think is a beautiful pile of garbage in my yard may not be so attractive to the    neighbors.
6.  Does my compost bin need a lid?
5.  What are browns and greens?
4.  Exactly HOW much moisture does my heap need?
3.  To turn, or not to turn the layers, that is the question!
2.  Poop, or no poop?
And the number 1 topic of composting is: 
1.  What is that smell?
My head is swimming.  Think I’ll just stick with my lasagna gardening plan (as mentioned in a previous post) and see how that works.  We have two barrels that were given to us to collect rainwater, and since rain doesn’t seem to be in the cards for us, I am going to start putting leaves and other “brown” materials in one barrel for layering my lasagna and maybe try traditional composting in the other one instead of a piling it on the ground.  The talk of “critters” getting into it my heap makes me a little nervous.  One way or the other, I’ll get this thing figured out.  I like a challenge!
During this season of my life, (I like to call it “late summer”) I have “brown” days and I have “green” days.  On brown days I feel spent, done, and oh so tired.  Green days are more productive, I feel more motivated, energetic , and a bit younger.  But in the end, when the brown is mixed in with the green, layered with Christ’s love, and the pure, organic fruits of the spirit are infused, my garden comes together in a bed of vitality that is fertile for growing and harvesting a life of purpose.  That purpose is to make a difference, to be the light and salt of this world, and to cultivate love.
“You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. “ 
-Matthew 5:14

No comments:

Post a Comment