Monday, April 2, 2012

Stepping Stone Towards Heaven

Every charitable act is a stepping stone towards heaven.” – Henry Ward Beecher

I have two new, beautiful stepping stones in my garden.  They are branded with my grandchildren’s tiny handprint impressions, adorned with jewels, painted, and autographed.  As I lovingly outline the edges of the fingers with mine, I wonder in years to come how many lives these little hands will touch and what kind of mark will they leave in our world.  They have so much growing and learning to do.  I wonder, who will respond when they reach out for help; who will answer when they ask “why”; who will hold them in times of loss; who will teach them to fold together in prayer; and who will teach them to reach out in love to touch the lives of those all around?  Here I am, Lord send me!
There are many who will guide and protect these tiny hands, but I make the commitment to do my part and be available to help them find their way, teach them to hold on to what really matters, to reach out in love, and to grasp the truth; that Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life and that they are beloved daughters of the one true God.
“Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?’ And I said, ‘Here am I. Send me!’”  Isaiah 6:1-13

No comments:

Post a Comment